How to Build A Small Tree House for Kids on a $160 Budget
Since my kids were little tots, they asked me if they could build a tree house. We didn't have enough land or trees at the time so in 2016 we built a play set instead. What are your memories of being a kid and having or not having a tree house? If you had one, I'm sure you have some great memories. If you didn't, you may regret that it didn't happen. Well, I think it's an important part of growing up. Your kids will learn that their dreams and ideas can really come to life with a plan and action.
In 2022 we built a new house and while it didn't have any large trees, it did come with several small trees. That's all we needed to get excited about a tree house build. In 2022 the simple tree house project came to life. This is our awesome experience. I hope you are able to experience it for your family as well.
Tree House Design / Plans
Anyone can build a tree house as long as you keep it simple. Is it easy? No, but it's absolutely possible. When you look back at the project, you will remember the fun times your kids had being part of something challenging. You can do it! Post a comment on the youtube tree house video if you have questions or want to say hello.
Watch the video to see our tree house journey!
Material List and Plan
Screws and Bolts
- 8 each 5" lag bolts and washers for rim joist boards
- 120 each 2.5" deck screws - for deck boards
- 16 each 4.5" screws - for hand rails
- 100 each 2.75" flat top screws - for balusters
- 10 each 3.5" screws - for ladder
- 4 each 2" x 8" x 8' treated boards for rim joist boards
- 10 each 1" x 5.5" x 8' treated deck boards for floor
Logs Lumber - From the forest
- 35 each 1" - 2" thick x 38" balusters
- 8 each 2" - 3" thick x 8' for rails
- A few 5" - 6" thick tall posts to support the platform
TREE HOUSE Costs
- Screws and bolts $80
- Treated Lumber Platform $80
- Logs and Branches - Free (time and patience to process)
Tools Used for Project
- Ryobi Circular saw
- Ryobi Sander
- Tree Trimming Saw
- Skil Jig Saw
- Dewalt Drill
- Measuring Tape
- Square Ruler
- Dewalt Miter Saw
- Greeworks Small Chain Saw
Follow Me On The Tree House Youtube Video
Post a comment on the youtube tree house video if you have any questions and I'll do my best to respond. High Five to building a tree house!